Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tim Burton party at the ACMI

Last week we were invited to the launch of the Tim Burton exhibition at Melbourne's ACMI in Federation Square. Your probably wondering why I was invited. I'm proud to tell you that my husband Deane was the art director on one of Tim's film's.
'Nightmare before Christmas.' It was the whole red carpet deal and lots of fun. I deliberately made an outfit that would have made Tim proud. Black and white stripe skirt with roses all around the bottom. Greta Kate my assistant did a fab job of the coat. Anyway enough about me...........................the night was sultry. Actually it was freezing but very warm inside considering there was over 1,000 people. I've never walked the red carpet before (unlike some in my family) so I was pretty thrilled, had lots of wonderful comments about my outfit along the way. Deane wore his best skull scarf and lobster tie. The band was fantastic and the whole night was themed around Nightmare and Beetlejiuce. The alcohol was served in black poison bottles, I managed to squeeze two of them in my pockets for the kids, who sadly were outside watching the whole event unfold.
I felt so sorry for Tim when he was asked to speak he was really nervous and wringing his hands like crazy it must have been so painful for him to have all that attention put on him. I was lucky enough to have a bit of a chat before he was whisked away..........he was the sweetest. Once all the speeches were over we got to see the exhibit and let me tell you if your a fan you have to go there are not enough adjectives to describe it. If your not a fan go anyway, there is something for everyone. The huge topiary deer, some of the Alice costumes the blue one has little bunnies embroidered all around the skirt base. Over 500 pieces of art. Make sure you read the poem Tim wrote in highschool about his blind date. It might make you have second thoughts, if ever the nerdy guy asks you out...you just never know what his future holds.
Deane had one of his illustrations hung with the Nightmare display, so exciting to see Deane's work up there with the best. We spoke to the curator from New York and he said normally people take 45 minutes to go through an exhibit but it was taking and average of 2.5 hours. We took three and went back the next day with the kids. I can honestly say it was one of the most thrilling experiences of my life. I loved every second XXX Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment